Understanding William

  Image result for arrow william images    I've read where a lot of people are upset with William feeling abandoned by his parents.  I would like to shed some light on this subject.  Children don't view the world as adults do.  Children see more in black and white and not the shades of gray.  William has had a lot to deal with from the loss of his mother to the time spent with a psychopath.  The words "I'm doing it for your protection," don't mean the same to a child.  He would have preferred to risk death and be with Felicity than to be safe.  Children don't have the maturity to understand the complexities of life.

When my brother was 12 years old he got rheumatic fever and spent many months in a  Nebraska Children's hospital.  Later he was allowed to go home, but he had to stay in a hospital bed in our home.  He couldn't walk because it affected his heart.  After another 6 months a home and not getting any better, my father found a hospital in Missouri that dealt with children who suffered from rheumatic fever.  My father and mother sat up one night to discuss sending my brother there.  It was late at night and my parents thought my brother to be asleep.  However, he heard them discussing sending him away.  Our Uncle lived in in the same city and he said he and my Aunt and cousins would go and see Johnny daily.  He wouldn't be alone.  My mother had 5 other children at home, so she couldn't stay there, and my father was a farmer and had to farm the land, so he couldn't go.  My brother felt abandoned by my parents.  This feeling of abandonment stayed with him a long time.  It wasn't until he was in his early twenties that he felt free from that. Johnny would have preferred to stay in the hospital bed at home than to leave it, even though leaving meant that he had a greater chance of recovery.  It made him more understanding with his own children and how he talked with them.  

Hope this helps you understand William a little bit better. :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrow 5.17 Kapiushon: Breaking Point

As Promised My Complaints with Arrow

Could Oliver Contemplate Retirement?