Arrow 612 All for Nothing Review

I have mixed  feelings about this  episode.  The writers carried the story forward, and  we learn that there's an even  bigger mole within James's organization.  However,  the Newbies are becoming tiring.  I care less about Rene  and  Curtis  than I ever have.  Then there  is the building to the Black Siren redemption that the writers promised they  would explore.  Suffice it to  say this episode will not remain on my  top ten  list of best episodes.

 Image result for olicity hugging images for 612    Olicity:  I know that we cannot expect to have an Olicity centric episode each week, that would not even be realistic.  I do enjoy the moments the  writers give us of this husband and wife team.  It's the little things that sweeten  the scenes.  Oliver comes in looking worried, and Felicity says, "I love that face, but it's a worried face."  Then they hug, and sway back and forth in that hug. It's a small moment, but it reveals their love and their support.  They've had  to put their honeymoon on  hold to  stop Cayden James, but they don't stop thinking  about it.  Felicity asks, "Are we going to have a honeymoon?" Oliver replies in the affirmative, "Aruba".   Hopefully we  will get to see their honeymoon in Aruba, wouldn't that be fun?  We  had other  such  moments in this episode, such as Felicity entering the Helix bunker of the Newbies, and touching Oliver's arm  gently and he quickly turns toward  her.  These soft moments  between them speak loudly of their love and trust.   
Image result for arrow all  for nothing images
                  Oliver:  Oliver shows a lot of growth.  I liked his  talk with Vincent  Sobel.  He tells  him  that he can't trust him yet the way the  others do, but he understands that what  Vincent tells him is true.  To save the  City, Vincent has to do what  he's  about to do.  When he talks with Dinah after Vincent's death, he doesn't take the blame like the old  Oliver would.  He admits to Dinah  he's  not there  to  apologize, and that Vincent knew what he was  getting into as any police officer knows.  Oliver's character has grown. I am thinking  the real  test for Oliver will be when  Felicity's life  lies  in the balance, as I  believe the story  will lead in that direction. Will he still  have that same self-control?

The Flashbacks:  Flashbacks of  Dinah Drake  and  Vincent Sobel wasted time. We already had  most of those  scenes in season 5.  Did we really need that again?  Perhaps the writers  thought  knowing more about Vincent would cause us  to feel his death more keenly.  I found them redundant.  I'm  wanting to to see more of John Diggle's background.  It had been hinted during the summer hiatus  that we might find out more about Diggle's mother.  That would certainly interest me more. These flashbacks fell flat and seemed disconnected  from the story line in  the  episode.

       The Newbies: Curtis and Rene:  This  viewer had enough of Rene and Curtis in this episode. They  so annoyed me that at this  point they could be written out of the show and tears would not be shed at their parting.  Rene's comment in the bunker was the last straw for me.  He said, "I'm getting PTSD from  being here."  Really?  He  has a problem being there?  Oliver trained  him, helped  him to grow, showed him  a different way to overcome some  of his anger issues.  Oliver helped him  to get his  daughter back, and got him a job that would help to get her back. He turned on Oliver without  once ever going  to Oliver  to say, "Hey, if I don't turn state's evidence I'll lose my daughter, what  can I do?"  It wouldn't have been that hard  to  do, but no, he quickly turned on him, and  he's the one who suffers?  Curtis is tiring too.  He  turns  to Oliver and Felicity to  leave with Dinah and says, "He going with family?"  Who took him in?  Felicity did everything  for him, and  she even allows him to be a part  of her company, yet Dinah and Rene are Family?  After all they've been through together.  They seem  more like spoiled babies.  With Alena  there, do  they need Curtis?  Couldn't Alena  do what  Curtis has done,  and  do  it without whining?  Are the writers making  these two so obnoxious that when they repent, it will be easier to accept?   I am  not so  sure.  I  feel bad too, because I saw in Rene a  lot of potential.  Part of me still hopes that Rene  at least  will come to his senses before this is all  over.  I see more potential for him than I do for Curtis.

    The Newbies, Dinah:  Of the three newbies, Dinah garners more sympathy from the viewer.  She finally had Vincent back.  They worked together, and they seemed to move toward a future  together.  Her anger stems from real hurt at seeing Vincent die a second time.  When she talks  to Oliver, it's hurt that speaks, so I had more sympathy with her. The viewer understands her pain.  I wondered why she didn't use  her canary cry to stop BS and James,but then I  realized that the beam across her chest would not allow for enough air to get out to cry.  I  wondered  it the Newbies had just done what Oliver said and all of them go after the bomb, then  get Vincent that perhaps he might have lived.  The bomb was lost because the team was  fractured.  Each team  working separately, has cost them a lot. When will they finally start  working together?  The Newbies will have to grow up first.

Image result for arrow all  for nothing images black siren and lance    Black Siren: I'm sorry this Black Siren story line  is simply BS.  I don't buy any of it.  Did Lance love Laurel at the expense of his other daughter?  He does have a daughter who is alive, but he seems to have forgotten that.  Lance's fixation with BS annoys this viewer.  I guess I can sympathize a little if  I  found someone that looked exactly like my  loved one, it might  be tempting to transfer the one  person for the other.  But they aren't the same person at all.  They have different backgrounds, different  goals, and different upbringings that shaped who they are.  Does the viewer think that the slight pause and look on her face was doubt over the veracity of killing Vincent?  Did  you feel the sorrow or pity?  I  for one did not.  There is a huge part of me that hopes Dinah does indeed  kill the Black Siren. But if the redemption of BS is truly to take place, then she won't do it.

Other thoughts:  I liked Alena, she worked well with the team.  I did wondered why Felicity on her own couldn't have found out what  Alena did, because Alena recruited Felicity because she was the best.  If she replaced Curtis, I wouldn't be sorry.

The show's title "All For Nothing" seemed appropriate, it appeared at first that Vincent died all for nothing, but he didn't because now we know there is someone perhaps  within James's organization that is actually pulling the strings and manipulating James to go after  Oliver.  A  mole in the organization that's not Vincent?  Or is  someone outside James's organization itself working to bring Oliver down?  Who could it be?  Could it be Anatoly?  Could it even be Amanda Watson herself?

We  know that William lives with Raisa and his PlayStation 4 in an Argus safe house.  Let's hope James does't know this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrow 5.17 Kapiushon: Breaking Point

Could Oliver Contemplate Retirement?

As Promised My Complaints with Arrow