Arrow, The Journey






If you are interested in music, television, music, books, and movies, this blog may be for you.  Here you will find my reviews on the things I listen to, read, and watch. I l hope you will find my  take on things  interesting, insightful, and perhaps slightly different. I welcome your reactions even if they differ greatly from mine. Dialogue  is always welcome, all I ask is keep it respectful.


Image result for green arrow tv show images that are free to useArrow Preview: I came late to Arrow, starring Stephen Amell,  I first started watching it when it began it's third season.  I watched the Flash, because my kids had watched the original Flash when they were young, so we were curious to see how they would make the new version (more on that in another post), during a commercial break they advertised Arrow and decided to watch it.  I know nothing of the comic book version of the Green Arrow and never read a comic book, so I had no preconceived notions of how it should it be or of any of the characters.

What made me stay was the on-screen chemistry between Stephen Amell and Emily Bett  Rickards.  They reminded me of the classic movie stars  Hepburn-Tracy, Myrna Loy and William Powell, or Cary Grant and Sophia Loren.  They  had a spark and  of course the story line made we want to know if those two would ever get together.  So we had to turn to Netflix to play catch up on all the two previous seasons.  I wasn't disappointed.

If you  have read the Odyssey by Homer, you  will  easily  recognize Oliver Queen as Odysseus. Odysseus went to fight in the Trojan War, but got trapped and couldn't get home. All he longed for was home and it took him ten long  years  to finally get home. He had  one trial after another, and yet when he arrives home, he finds a lot of trouble there that he has to take care of. That is Arrow in a very  small  nutshell. Odysseus has a wife waiting for him, and though, she thinks him dead, she is loyal to him. Oliver has no wife, he has Laurel, and she wasn't very loyal, and though all Oliver can think of is coming home to Laurel, it is eventually Felicity who captures his heart.

There is much symbolism in Arrow especially with the light and dark.  No one covers this symbolism better than Jen of Something to Live For on jbuffyangel.tumblr.com  Occasionally if  it seems pertinent to me, I will address  it.

Arrow is a journey.  Odysseus wanted to go home; Oliver wants go  home. The journey home is not always easy, and there are lessons to learn along the way.  Can you resume life like it was before? Can you do it all  alone. Arrow is about forgiveness, and it starts with forgiving yourself.  Is that possible? Oliver has to forgive. Laurel, Diggle, Lyla, and Felicity  all have to find a way to forgive.

Today I gave you a general overview.  Each day, I  will try  to  add something new. I  hope to explore each character and then on Thursday, I  will post my review on the weekly episode.

I hope you  will enjoy  the journey  along  with me; sorry I started late, but it is the destination  that's important.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrow 5.17 Kapiushon: Breaking Point

Could Oliver Contemplate Retirement?

As Promised My Complaints with Arrow