Arrow Review: Penance 504

 Tonight Oliver breaks Diggle out of prison. The episode theme is Penance, voluntary self-punishment for a wrong done.  Diggle is wrongfully in a military prison, but he thinks he belongs there because of Andy. Prison serves as penance. Oliver knows that even though John did kill Andy, and should pay for it, he wants him to do penance as  Spartan, and not for a crime that he did not commit.  So Lyla enlists Oliver to help.  I love the relationship she has with her husband. She stands behind him, and wants to save him. Lyla wants to save her husband from himself, even  if they have to live a life on the run.  I love her persistence, and isn't that what love in a marriage is all about.  Does anyone else wonder if Tobias Church  is somehow involved with John being in prison?  Not that he knows who John Diggle is, but perhaps he has a connection with the one did. Did anyone else wonder that?

As  I have said before I think trust is a sub-theme of Arrow.  In season four John didn't think he could trust Oliver.  He wanted someone  who would have his  back, and he didn't  think Oliver would.   Oliver  showed  him that he could. Yet tonight,  John said, "You came back for me, even against my wishes."  He seemed a little surprised, but he knew Oliver had his back.  I thought Oliver's comment about how isn't that what he always does, and maybe that's his penance. Oliver has always carried guilt.  I found that comment interesting.

Oliver and Felicity. Felicity has her own penance, in a way.  She carries guilt for Havenrock.  She didn't tell Oliver that she told Rory about her part.  Oliver wants  her help, but Felicity  won't help  him do it, because she feels life on the run for John is no  life at all. Felicity always take the high  road. I loved the interaction between herself and Oliver. When  Felicity realized it was Oliver who  broke into Palmer tech she says, are you  lying to me again?  That little line, told me that Felicity still carries the hurt  of Oliver keeping things from  her. She doesn't trust him. Oliver tells her that he didn't lie to her, and he  didn't tell  her because she wasn't behind him. They  sounded a bit like a married couple, didn't they? Crazy, Wild thought-- On the other hand...What if Flashpoint has affected not just Diggle but  Felicity.  What if there were  no Oliver and Felicity  as a couple?  Does that make sense.  Just been thinkin....What are your  thoughts.

Felicity takes over for Oliver while he's gone, and makes decisions. When  the team questions her about it, she said, "Oliver forfeited his opinion when he left. She is  also the head with Oliver.  can't wait for them to get together and have a partnership again.   When  Oliver returns he tells Felicity, "I couldn't write him  off." Felicity smiles.  I think she realized that Oliver was right to do  it.  Perhaps this part of her learning to trust Oliver. I don't think he will ever lie to her agian, but she needs to be sure.

Felicity and Rory.  Oliver tells Felicity  that she  needs  to talk  with Rory.  I think that was interesting,because in the past it has been Felicity telling Oliver who he ought to talk  to to make amends. Felicity listening to Oliver says a lot too.  She goes and talks to Rory, and that was one of my favorite moments.   Rory says to  to  her, "We can't let guilt eat us up."  They agree to help  each other, and he returns to the team.  Forgiveness.  Wait, my  friends, for Felicity  will forgive Oliver too.

The action scenes are always great, and it what fun  to see the team try and stop Oliver, and then they go back and ask Felicity why she did that.

Random Thoughts:
It was sad to see Wild  Dog get taken by Church and tortured.

The new D.A. is growing on me. I like him, and think he might be good  for Thea.

Quentin Lance needs Donna, don't you think.  We need Donna. :)

A fern.  The lair needs a fern,  Ferns symbolize a bond of love.  Oliver or Felicity needs to bring one into the lair.  Who's with me on that?

More Olicity moments, please, wonderful Arrow writers.  Marc Guggenheim said that 505 is to have Olicity moments or else we will know where Olicity is headed.  I am sure they will not disappoint.

Well, it is late, so I am off to sleep.
Write your thought on the show below.  Night and have Olicity dreams. :)




.

.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrow 5.17 Kapiushon: Breaking Point

Could Oliver Contemplate Retirement?

As Promised My Complaints with Arrow